Welcome back to the Arne Wellness Center blog! In part one of this short blog series, we started looking at a few handy tips to help prevent the onset of back pain while taking a road trip this summer. In case you’re just joining us, we looked at these helpful ways to reduce back pain:
- Invest in a good back support system designed for vehicles
- Make time to stop and stretch
- Stay hydrated
- Bring some topical pain relief cream with you
- Schedule a pre- and post-trip chiropractic appointment
Let’s pick up where we left off last time and look at a few more ways to prevent back pain and how to relieve it if it develops during your road trip.
Follow These Tips to Prevent Back Pain While on The Road
Make Your Ride Ergonomic
When you drive and your car seat is too far away from your pedals, it can make you strain to reach the pedals, which can irritate the muscles in your legs, hips, and lower back. Additionally, if your steering wheel is too far away, or set to an awkward position, it can contribute to soreness and tension in the arms, shoulders, upper back, and neck. Before hitting the road, set up your car and your seat for success. Make all the necessary adjustments to ensure your drive is as comfortable and as ergonomic as possible. Here a few things to check:
- Adjust your seat to the proper setting for your height
- Adjust your steering wheel
- Adjust your rearview mirror and your side mirror
- Adjust your pedals to your height
Take Turns Driving
When you’re traveling with friends and family members (who are of driving age, of course), take turns driving. Getting your foot off of the gas pedal for a bit can help reduce any pain or discomfort that can easily develop when driving. It also gives the driver a break from holding the steering wheel, which can cause shoulder and neck pain.
Don’t Be a Distracted Driver
As a driver, it’s important to devote all of your attention to the road and what’s in front of you so you don’t cause an accident, which could definitely cause back pain. What’s more, staying focused on driving can keep you aware and alert of any potentially dangerous situations such as poor road conditions and dangerous drivers. Follow these handy tips to be a less-distracted driver:
- Create a road trip playlist ahead of time so you don’t fumble around with your phone or music while driving.
- Keep all of your important items right where you can reach them.
- Avoid eating while driving.
- Keep pets securely situated in the car so they don’t become a distraction.
- Put your phone in the glove box to eliminate the temptation to text while you’re driving.
Schedule a Massage
Along with scheduling a pre- and post-trip chiropractic appointment, schedule a massage to reduce after-travel tension, stress, and pain. While your Littleton chiropractor can help align your spine to remove stress from your spinal nerves, your massage therapist can address the soft tissue issues such as muscle tension, soreness, and they can encourage healthy circulation to get rid of built-up toxins. Contact your favorite wellness center in Littleton to schedule an appointment for chiropractic care, massage, acupuncture, and more!